Gynaikokastro Cstle is located south of Old Gynaikokastro village, about 12.5 km. southwest of the city of Kilkis, and 45 km. north of Thessaloniki, between Gallikos and Axios rivers.
In a position of strategic importance provides a view reaching Axios and Paeonia province in the west, Belles in the north and Kroussia in the east. Access is easy either by the Greece – FYROM highway, or by Thessaloniki-Kilkis road towards Old Gynaikokastro. Old Gynaikokastro is a settlement with roots in the Byzantine era. Greeks used to lived in the village until 1907, in a district named "Karaouli". In 1907 Greeks fled due to Bulgarian atrocities.
The current residents are Sarakatsans and refugees from the villages of Kars in Pontus and notably Peperek and Toroskof of Ardahan region where they had been living after the Russian-Turkish war of 1877-1878 displaced from their previous villages in Argyroupolis.
Twelve families from Peperek arrived in the region of Kilkis in 1913 and 1914 and were followed by 40 other families from Serres. Their adventures ended in 1922 with the Asia Minor catastrophe when they finally returned and settled in Avret Hisar (Old Gynaikokastro). Old Gynaikokastro in 1922 is estimated to have about 2,000 inhagbitants. Today no more than 1,000 live in the village and only half of them are permanent residents. The rest of the population gradually migrated to Kilkis, Thessaloniki or Germany.
Every first of weekend of August the Gynaikokastreia cultural event takes place close to the Castle. The program of events includes children's activities (clowns, stilt walkers, jugglers, etc.), traditional dances and songs, traditional dishes and revival of traditional customs.